For more information please contact Paddington Clinic on the below details:
Soup is always a comforting, healthy meal idea and here’s another one to add to your repertoire.
Roasting the vegetables for this soup brings out their natural sweetness.
24 Medium Large Plum Tomatoes (or any tomatoes)
1 Large Onion
1 Large Fresh Fennel Bulb
4 Cloves Garlic
3 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Thyme
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil
Salt & Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chicken or Veggie Broth
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Prepare 2 large baking sheets by covering them with aluminum foil.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and lay them cut side up on one of the baking sheets.
- Finely chop the thyme with two of the garlic cloves and sprinkle this over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the cut side of the tomatoes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the onion and cut into one inch slices, brush both sides with a little olive oil and place on the other baking sheet.
- Cut the fennel in half and remove the core.
- Cut off the frond stems and then cut off the fennel leaves, toss them in a little olive oil and place them on the baking sheet with the onions.
- Season the onions and fennel with a little salt and pepper.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and bake until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown.
- The tomatoes will take about 40 minutes and the onions and fennel may take up to an hour.
- Place the vegetables into a food processor and pulse until you have a thick chunky mixture.
- Heat another two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy saucepan and cook the other two garlic cloves, finely minced until fragrant.
- Add the tomato mixture, the chopped basil and just enough broth to loosen the soup. (About one cup of broth.)
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 10 minutes to meld the flavors, adding additional broth if the soup becomes too thick.
- Allow the soup to come to room temperature before serving.
- Serve the soup at room temperature in individual bowls topped with your garnish of choice, and add toasted pita wraps for a more substantial meal.