This is really quick, really easy and really healthy. The perfect combo.
- 50g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small (75g) carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 cm-piece (20g) fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14g) fresh loose long red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g chicken mince
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 40g fresh bean sprouts
- 12 cos lettuce leaves (about 1/2 lettuce)
- 1/2 firm but ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into cubes
- 1/2 lime, cut into 4 thin wedges
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the vermicelli and cook, stirring often, for about 1-2 mins or until barely tender. Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold water until cooled. Drain well and transfer to a bowl. Stir the cornflour and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl to blend.
- Heat a wok or large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then add the carrot, ginger, garlic, and chilli and cook for about 1 min, or until fragrant. Add the mince and cook, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, for 2 mins or until almost cooked. Stir in the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and cornflour mixture. Cook for about 1-2 mins to allow the flavours to blend and the sauce to simmer and thicken slightly. Fold in the bean sprouts.
- Divide the vermicelli among the lettuce cups. Top with the mince mixture. Garnish with the avocado and coriander, and serve with the lime wedges.