This is a healthy take on banana bread which is comforting and nutritious. Spelt flour and quinoa are easy to digest, full of protein, fibre, B vitamins, iron and magnesium. Nuts and banana help relax the nervous system, improve mood and keep you feeling fuller for longer. Dark chocolate gives a boost of endorphins.
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups of mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup nuts (a mix of walnuts and almonds is delicious), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup good-quality dark chocolate, chopped roughly (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Add spelt flour, baking soda, sea salt, coconut and cinnamon to large mixing bowl. Sprinkle in quinoa and stir to combine, breaking up any clumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, butter and maple syrup then add to the dry mix, stirring to combine.
- Stir through the nuts and chocolate.
- Pour into a lined or greased loaf tin and bake for approx 1 hour and 15 min or until skewer comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days, or cut generous sized slices and freeze for a fantastic toaster-ready snack.